Sunday, November 28, 2010

Taking a youth hunter out deer hunting

I went out hunting on opening weekend of firearm season.  On opening weekend I didn’t shoot anything but I did take one of my younger brothers out. We went to a spot where I had been seeing some deer every night.  We walked in and I caught a deer bedded down in the cornfield. My brother and I got in a draw so the deer couldn’t see us. I decided that we could sneak around and maybe get to a place where he could shoot. When we were trying to sneak around I caught another deer in the alfalfa field. This one gave us a better opportunity to shoot so we got set up on her instead. I called at her and she came in and my brother took the shot. He missed the doe but I told him that it was okay because even the professional hunters miss sometimes. It was about dark by then and we started to head to the vehicle. I was thinking to myself that it would have been cool to see him shoot that doe. Then I thought it was okay that he didn’t get the deer because these things help the youth to learn that hunting isn’t always about getting the trophy. This helps them to learn how to pursue their hunt and learn from their mistakes. I was also thinking how I had a blast just by taking a youth hunter out in the woods. To all the older hunters out there please go and take a youth hunter out in the woods. Even if you do not shoot something the experience they had will stick with them forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment