Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Dove Season

Dove season started the first day of September and will end November 9, 2010. I hope all of the dove hunters out there are having awesome luck in the field. I haven’t made it out to the field yet to shoot some doves this year but I’m hoping I will have a little break from studying to do some dove hunting. Last year I went dove hunting and I filled my limit.
The best place I found to hunt doves is over a silage field. When you use this location for hunting you will have to watch the doves fly into the field. This will help you to know how to position yourself to shoot the doves. When you position yourself make sure that you are camouflaged as much as possible. The best way I found out is to sit up in the standing corn stalks. If the farmer has used the whole field for silage you will have to use timber to camouflage yourself really well for the doves will not see you. Once you fill your limit it’s time to prepare them to eat and I hear that smoked dove is delicious. Here is a recipe to try out:

 6 dove breasts
 Apple juice
 Hickory smoke
 Onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, salt, and pepper to taste
 BBQ sauce
 1 large sliced onion
 bacon
First place the breast in an 8x10 baking pan. Next pour the juice in the baking pan just enough to cover the bottom. Do not forget to add few drops of hickory smoke. Now mix your dry ingredients in a bowl and rub the mix over the dove breasts. Place the dove breasts in the pan. Pour ¼ Cup bbq sauce on the breasts. Then lay onion and bacon on top of the breasts. Place the pan in the smoker on the grill and cook until meat easily pulls from the bones.

Hopefully I will get the chance to bag some doves and try out that recipe. Good luck to all dove hunters out there. Please come by later this week for more updates on things to do outdoors in Northwest Missouri.

No comments:

Post a Comment